Marvh 13, 2013
KwZulu Natal government has spent R48.5M [$US5.3M] on risky clamps
FOR ORAL REPLY QUESTION NO. 51
Mrs C Dudley (ACDP) to ask the Minister of Health:
(1) Why is the Tara Klamp still being used at hospitals despite reports that a clinical trial has shown it to be unsafe;
(2) what (a) is the Government paying per Tara Klamp and (b) amount has the Government spent on Tara Klamps to date;
(3) has the Tara Klamp been put out to tender?
(1) ... The World Health Organisation (WHO)'s Department of Reproductive Health & Research (RHR) hosted a consultation ... The group concluded that while rates of adverse events and device related incidents were of primary focus "it was agreed that they did not necessarily exclude the Tara Klamp device from further assessment in an adult African population, nor imply that similarly high complication rates would be see in younger men or adolescents".
(2) (a) The cost per unit item for the TK is R222.30 [$US 24.81] VAT inclusive depending on the rand/dollar exchange rate.
(b) -->The KwaZulu/Natal Department of Health has spent R48,544,916.75 [$US 5,368,736.66] from April 2010 to date on the purchase of the TK device.
(3) ... The Department procured the device from the sole distributor for Africa,...
Issued by Parliament, April 8 2013