June 16, 2013
Circumcised boys rescued in Eastern Cape
Two Eastern Cape boys who underwent an illegal circumcision were hospitalised on Sunday, the provincial health department said.
"A team of police and health officials responded to [a call from] one of the villages, Mkhantatho, and rescued two boys," spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said.
"The boys were suffering from dehydration and hallucinations."
They were found in a forest near Sicambeni village around 1am, and taken to hospital as they required immediate medical care.
Kupelo said police were searching for the person who performed the illegal circumcisions.
Parents notified the department of 12 other boys, between the ages of 12 and 13, who had received illegal circumcisions in Sicambeni.
"This brings the number of illegal circumcisions reported [this week] to over 80," said Kupelo.
Earlier, he said the department had received reports of illegal circumcisions in Cibeni, Mkhantatho, Gebali, Lukuni, and KwaGorha villages. At least 70 boys were reported to be in illegal circumcision schools.
They were being circumcised by a boy who attended a school in the area and who was not a recognised district surgeon. The matter came to light when concerned traditional leaders contacted the department.
No deaths had been reported.